June 10, 2013

When the best laid plans go pear shaped...

It is 100 degrees outside today, no kidding, there is a storm coming but I don't think it's actually going to rain, and quilting was an epic failure. I just could not get comfortable with this mini and then my machine made noises I associate with "bad things brewing" and then I just couldn't handle it anymore. I quit, yes I am walking away from this for now, well, not right now, since I have about 1000 stitches to pull and then I think I might do some handwork on it, but I put it down to write this article and finish the knitting projects.

Just noticed the photo bomb...
First up, the Nixie Shawl from KnitScene, Spring 2012 issue. This pretty, simple shawl is jazzed up with the addition of a ruffled tail on one end. I did mine in Dark Arts Teal from A Stash Addict and limited edition Bliss from Fabric Bliss here in Denver. Both are sock weight yarns and I think they went together beautifully. Though I enjoyed knitting this and the yarns I used, I am not in love with this shawl, so it will be going into the kBear Crafts Etsy Shop sometime soon.


 Next is Wingspan from designer Maylin of Tricot Treat. Ok, this one has been out there for a while and many many people have done it. I decided to do mine out of Metallico Flint from Blue Sky Alpacas and Plie Bridgetown Brown from tilli tomas. These yarns both contain silk, either entirely [tilli tomas] or partially [Blue Sky Alpaca] so they were not the easiest of yarns to knit with, and both are sock weight. Boy are they soft though, and I just know I am going to adore wearing this shawl come this fall.

 
Finally, I cast on the Mambu Shawlette from Custom Knit Accessories by Wendy Bernard. I am using Hopper on a Flower from Expression Fiber Arts [one of my favorite people to get yarn from], which is a 4-ply Merino DK weight yarn. It is more robust than I was expecting, and though the pattern calls for yarn of this type, I think my reverse knitting style has it turning out a little denser than shown in the pattern photos. No worries, even though I have just started knitting, this is one of those keepers. If it turns out I don't need the other two skeins of this yarn for the shawlette, I'll make extras and post them for sale.

That's it for now. I am off to rip stitches out of my quilt and then I have my Adventure Block Swap to make for the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild meeting this Saturday at Treelotta at 10:00 A.M. If you're in the area stop by! We love new people in the guild or just to come say "hey".

Cheers

How wingspan looks on.

This is folded on the right side of the picture, it is actually a HST with the ruffle at one end.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment